Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Back in Finland.

Our rugby tournament in Manchester was a success although we failed to capture a win in the final championship match. Our boys bruised and hungover departed Manchester Monday June 4. Some were going home, many are still in Europe enjoying the time overseas. My teammate Latte (names protected for the not so innocent) and I departed for Helsinki. He is part Finnish and was curious about his home land. For me it's a return to a country that I had the pleasure living for the month of July 2005.

Studying abroad is an experience anyone should do if you can afford to do so, and there are lots of ways to accomplish this. I for one was able to spend a mo th here, with two professors well tuned to its culture and design history, it was a time I really cherished. Landing in Finland everything was strange yet familiar. It has been seven years since I last laid eyes on this city of a million people and not much has changed. Some projects were finished, some new ones have begun, but it's all familiar and wonderful to me.

We have spent our time walking and eating a bit, then walking some more. Sleeping in. A late morning sauna. Drinks with locals till 3AM, and the sun hasn't really set. This has to be the laziest and yet most relaxing vacation to europe I have ever taken. My soul feels recharged here in Finland and often I look at a clock and am shocked at the time, but never feel the need to worry about it. Summer in Finland it seems time just stops, and you need to enjoy every minute of it however you can before winter sinks in once again.

Compared to the rush of London, Helsinki is a welcomed change. The city center feels at once contemporary and old world. Boulevards are packed with shoppers and cafes. Stately buildings from the Russian and Swedish occupations stand guard over the public spaces, a grand reminder of the former guardians of this country. Modern buildings flex Finnish design muscles with sleek crisp lines of steel and glass, providing welcomed juxtaposition to the old Helsinki. This place to me just feels right. Simple and yet complex in layers of texture, form and use.

Tomorrow is my day to photograph this city I look forward to broadening my portfolio of Pictures once again. The last time I was here for example I took over 1500 photos all with a point and shoot camera. Times have changed, my DSLR will add greater depth and color to scenes i could not quite capture before.

Stay tuned for new photos!




Commercial street Helsinki




Delicious stew at the harbor market




3:30 am sky - Helsinki

No comments: